About Me

My photo
Jessie Glenn attended Reed College and Portland State University in Portland, Oregon. Her book publicity work has been highlighted in Poets & Writers Magazine, Annie Jenning’s EliteWire, AWP, and numerous “Ask the Expert” articles. She was picked as a judge for the IndieReader Discovery Awards the Women's Fiction Rising Star Awards and in an unrelated twist, she was also a contestant on MasterChef season 3. Jessie teaches a Master's level book publicity class for Portland State University's Masters in Publishing degree. In additional to her own writing clips in NYT Modern Love, WaPo, Toronto Star and elsewhere, Jessie is a comfortable, well practiced public speaker, media coach and takes on select PR repping positions for notable clients.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

prismACTIVISM!


Synthetic. Collaborative. and perhaps divisive. That's how I think I would describe prismACTIVISM!. At the opening Friday night, at Launchpad Gallery, I was struck by the artwork, but mostly, I was intrigued by the people. The opening night was also the CD release party for "Actually Happening, " from DMLH. And you could feel that this event was fueled by a whole lotta love and enthusiasm.

These artists were united in this collection by the songs on the album. Which is why there was a dizzying diversity of medias and styles. Sam Arneson's comic-book like ink drawing, "Stream of Consciousness," lodged itself firmly in my subconscious. Partly because of the imaginative, malicious character it represented, partly because it reminded me of someone I love. David Walker's work "Unfinished Businesses" was also cartoonish, yet sinister. In fact, the overarching theme was a mixture of the innocent and the corrupt. The artists played vice against innocence, nature against construct. And themes of death, toxins, and corrosion ran underneath.

DMLH, who is complicit in all these works, was previously unknown to me. I'm not quite sure how I feel about him. I wouldn't call him brilliant, yet. His lyrics have a stark sincerity--without ornamentation, sometimes mundane. And it's not super catchy, dancy, or driving. But intriguing. And his approach--blending visual and performance and oral and aural art--complicates matters just enough.


~ By Staff Writer, Sarah Hoffer

1 comment:

DMLH said...

Hi, thank you for writing about prismACTIVISM. I am glad to know you found so much to engage with in the space of that show. I think you are fairly spot on on your examination of my words. "Actually Happening" is firmly rooted in the magic of the mundane.

-dmlh
www.dmlhism.com

What genre are you reading?

Translate