About Me

My photo
Jessie Glenn attended Reed College and Portland State University in Portland, Oregon. Her book publicity work has been highlighted in Poets & Writers Magazine, Annie Jenning’s EliteWire, AWP, and numerous “Ask the Expert” articles. She was picked as a judge for the IndieReader Discovery Awards the Women's Fiction Rising Star Awards and in an unrelated twist, she was also a contestant on MasterChef season 3. Jessie teaches a Master's level book publicity class for Portland State University's Masters in Publishing degree. In additional to her own writing clips in NYT Modern Love, WaPo, Toronto Star and elsewhere, Jessie is a comfortable, well practiced public speaker, media coach and takes on select PR repping positions for notable clients.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

D'Merde Post Mordum



(A Painting By Jason Moreno, picture here)


It ended up being absolutely exactly what I hoped it would be. So many people contacted me the next day with new project ideas, mixed media project ideas, collaborative project ideas.

The artists were terrific, Cheyenne Glasgow (photographer) had a photo/sculpture piece, photos mounted on a cabinet. It had Cheyenne's distinctive look of a slightly melancholy dreaminess mixed with an odd forced practically that makes me question my own views of what being pragmatic actually means.

I had only seen Shannon Mayorga's paintings online before the other night by even on the blinky little screen, his lush use of color and striking sort of controlled looseness is absolutely lovely. Kind of edible or something. The piece that he brought was actually a print but looked so much like a painting - I need to learn more about this.

Jason Moreno is another artist I had only seen online, as well. (Damn I was so incredibly lucky, considering). His paintings are intricately odd fantasies. Some maybe nightmares. (my favorite) There's a frantic quality of meta-think, a brain whirring with uninvited images. Jason brought four painted metal masks to D'Merde that he hung in a criscross of wire on the wall. The masks were reminiscent of both the Day of the Dead as well as Balinese masks I've seen (the mouths, in particular).

I'll write more about the readers/performers later, they highly deserve their own blog.

XO

1 comment:

Middle Ditch said...

Just to say hi. I'll be back another time. LOL

What genre are you reading?

Translate