About Me

My photo
Jessie Glenn attended Reed College and Portland State University in Portland, Oregon. Her book publicity work has been highlighted in Poets & Writers Magazine, Annie Jenning’s EliteWire, AWP, and numerous “Ask the Expert” articles. She was picked as a judge for the IndieReader Discovery Awards the Women's Fiction Rising Star Awards and in an unrelated twist, she was also a contestant on MasterChef season 3. Jessie teaches a Master's level book publicity class for Portland State University's Masters in Publishing degree. In additional to her own writing clips in NYT Modern Love, WaPo, Toronto Star and elsewhere, Jessie is a comfortable, well practiced public speaker, media coach and takes on select PR repping positions for notable clients.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007




I went to Dark Horse Comics the other day for a chat and tour. It's sort of easy to forget that cute lil' business in Milwaukie is actually the largest cartoon company in the country owed by an individual. (As opposed to Marvel and DC, the two larger co.s which are owned by other companies or conglomerates or something like that)

Not sure why I have such a hard time connecting Dark Horse with their big projects, but I think I sort of re-remembered that Dark Horse was the origin for "The Mask", "Hellboy", that new film "My name is Bruce" plus iconic comics Sin City, Predator, the continuation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and "Star Wars". Phhewww. That's a lotta shit.

And that list doesn't close to touch the variety Dark Horse turns out. They do about a million other comics, graphic novels (which isn't much of a surprise), and also a few books of an incredibly eclectic nature. Not sure I got the gist of the book press: Narrative history? In partnership with cartoons, sounds like a bitch of a marketing pitch. (Imma poet. I know it.)

Speaking of marketing, I was really interested that I don't see much evidence of Dark Horse using interactive or buzz strategies in their marketing. It's not exactly like that's impossibly weird, but it's occurred to me lately that if there are three echelons of business (this is simplistic but bear with me) small businesses (who are ready to put it out on the line and are thus creating some of the most original campaigns around), big businesses (who have the money to follow all the little campaigns and copy cool looking shit even if it doesn't work), and mid-level businesses who used to kind of run things in the 90's when it came to branding and marketing, but now seem sort of hesitant.

Dunno. It's just that Dark Horse is such a ringer for an interactive campaign with all their die hard fans.

I'll keep ya updated...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They are doing a promotion with myspace. Check out myspace.com/darkhorsepresents.

When I had a story up there, I got quite a good response from readers.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm not thinking of "promotion" correctly. I just meant that they're using myspace to build awareness of their brand and their creators.

Star Wars was fun, but I'm enjoying doing my own, creator-owned comics.

Take care.

What genre are you reading?

Translate