About Me

My photo
Jessie Glenn attended Reed College and Portland State University in Portland, Oregon. Her book publicity work has been highlighted in Poets & Writers Magazine, Annie Jenning’s EliteWire, AWP, and numerous “Ask the Expert” articles. She was picked as a judge for the IndieReader Discovery Awards the Women's Fiction Rising Star Awards and in an unrelated twist, she was also a contestant on MasterChef season 3. Jessie teaches a Master's level book publicity class for Portland State University's Masters in Publishing degree. In additional to her own writing clips in NYT Modern Love, WaPo, Toronto Star and elsewhere, Jessie is a comfortable, well practiced public speaker, media coach and takes on select PR repping positions for notable clients.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Holy Shit. Was it just Post-Post-Modernism, under my nose, the whole time??


My dear friends, such a crazy thing has happened. Another absolute breakthrough in regards to my examination of the PDX art scene. I think the breakthrough was hovering and waiting for me between the time I wrote about the nature of goodness in No Country for Old Men and read Heather Reddy's blog about selectively spying on herself.

While I blogged about Heather's piece, I didn't really, completely get why it engaged me so much. I felt the connections growing, but it wasn't until reading her piece aloud to maybe the fourth (Heather, you should be blushing by now) person, that I had a complete Eureka! moment.

Hmm... to be honest, the person I was reading it to said p-p-m first, but I felt my own strong eureka in any case...

If you have not been following along in the argument/theoretical extrapolation I'm having with myself and whoever I meet for coffee, here's the gist: I believe that PDX is in the midst of the next important artistic movement and I'm trying to identify similar themes in our work that reflect a common problem we are examining. In addition, I am looking for reflections in our art of our political, physical, moral, capitalistic and ethical environment.

Basically, what does this 'soup of the now' do for/to art and what are we trying to do in this soup?

Here's a lil' blurb from Identity Woman: indentitywoman.net. Not what I believe, per se, but pretty easy to consume.

"Modernism has its origins in the enlightenment, ‘rationalism’, absolute structure and finding ‘the truth’.

Post-Modernism is a critique to modernism. In this structure, there are no laws maintained to define hierarchical culture. Post-modernism that asserts that there no hierarchies and that all points of view are equally valid.

Today you have the emergence of Post-Post-modernism It rejects the “flat” - everything is equal point of view of of post-modernism but not super structured rationalism like Modernism. You might call it a Polyarchy.

Shit. This blog is becoming too long. I'm gonna stop here.

Let's leave it with this: I strongly disagree with her definition of Post-Post-Modernism...
XOXO
JB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JB--can you give us a link to Heather's blog?

I agree with you that the definition of post-post-modernism is a little trite. Could we say p-p-m is a kinda "re-constructionism"? But then again, I haven't read that blog entry.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charity,
I'll link it now but it's the sorry to be so heavy link on my perma links.

XOXO

What genre are you reading?

Translate